Thank you for your correspondence. The Minister has requested that I reply on his behalf.
The Palaszczuk Labor Government, appreciates the ongoing relationship that we have with the Australian Fishing Trade Association and your members.
The Palaszczuk Government has had a long line of successes when it has come to implementation of the Sustainable Fisheries Strategy in Queensland which has protected our fisheries for future generations.
Further to this, since the Palaszczuk Government came to government in 2015, has
- Delivered three Net Free Zones in Cairns, Mackay and Rockhampton,
- Implemented VMS across a greater range of commercial fishing vessels,
- Reformed the Fisheries Act,
- Introduced reforms to the recreational fishing sector,
- Tabled regulatory reform for Queensland’s commercial fishers,
- Delivered twenty new Queensland Boat and Fisheries Patrol officers, new boats, re-opened the Gladstone base, and provided ongoing consultation and monitoring programs,
- Installed Fish Attracting Devices to make fish species more accessible to recreational fishers.
The Sustainable Fisheries Strategy has seen Queensland progress to having a world-class fishery, and there is more that still needs to be done.
Further announcements will be made in due course, which will be communicated with you.
If you require further information, please contact the Office of the Minister for Agricultural Industry Development and Fisheries on 07 3719 7420.
Office of the Hon. Mark Furner MP
Minister for Agricultural Industry Development and Fisheries
P 07 3719 7420
Level 35, 1 William Street 4000
GPO Box 46 Brisbane QLD 4001