WARFFA – WHAT TO DO NOW!
As we draw closer to the end of the public consultation period we must ensure we stay on the same path with our Key Messages and must ensure we continue to keep the pressure up on your local MPs, the ministers and the Premier’s office.
To keep this pressure up we have launched Phone a Pollie Day the 29th and 30th of September.
Please share this on your socials and your contact lists of fishing clubs and customers far and wide! What we are asking is to phone your local MP, the Premier, Don Punch and any other WA minister and let them how this fishing ban will affect you and your family. Referring to, and staying focussed on the key messages below, the more noise we can make in 2 days the better. By doing this, when this is discussed further in parliament it will get a lot of extra discussion time which is important to get a better outcome.
We must also ensure we keep the pressure up in the PUBLIC EYE, so letters to the editor and local paper PLAY A KEY ROLE. See email addresses and links below!
WHAT CAN YOU AND YOUR CUSTOMERS DO TO HELP?
Your customers play a vital role in our quest, and no doubt are asking what they can to help. Here is what they can do :
Sign the Petition.
Letters to the Editor, to let them know how these proposals affect them. The West Australian is a good one, as is your local community paper, WE NEED TO GET THIS ISSUE IN THE NON-FISHING PUBLIC’S EYE.
All letters must be kept short and signed at the bottom including full name, address and phone number.
CONTACT THEIR LOCAL MP, EITHER BY EMAIL, PHONE OR IN PERSON AND RESPECTFULLY LET THEM KNOW HOW IT AFFECTS THEMSELVES, THEIR FAMILY AND THEIR FRIENDS. Click here for a ‘How to Guide on Contacting your local MP’, and see the image above with key MP email addresses.
FIND YOUR MEMBER HERE:
By joining Recfishwest you’ll strengthen their power to advocate for our rights as well as receive important updates and information regarding any new developments related to the current status of the government’s proposed WCDS management measures.
To become a member, click here https://recfishwest.org.au/become-a-member/. This will keep you updated on the latest news on the West Coast Demersal Scale Fishery.
Like and Share the West Australian Family Fishing Alliance FB page, for updates on this and other future fisheries management proposals.
Talk to their family and friends, even if they are not fishers, or affected by these proposals, it’s important that the wider community understand the social and economic impact these proposals will have on WA.
- WA has 750,000 plus recreational fishers, and fishing plays a huge social and economic role in our community
- We care about sustainability, recreational fishing, and our industry, which depends on it
- Recreational fishing is worth $2.4 billion annually to the WA economy, ‘we need to ensure the best use of the resource for the WA community and economy’
- The stocks are recovering, DPIRDS science says so
- Regional coastal towns depend on fishing tourism, and current proposals will destroy small businesses and 1000’s of jobs statewide
- We ask the state government to reconsider its current proposals to ensure an outcome that looks after the fish without the devastating social and economic impacts
- There is a better way to manage this community resource
Traction so far is good, with 17,000 plus signatures, WE MUST CONTINUE TO SHARE AND RE-POST AND GET YOUR IN-STORE CUSTOMERS TO SIGN THE ONLINE PETITION.
BELOW is how to share on Social media and in-store.
THE BEST OPTION IS TO SIGN THE ONLINE PETITION SO WE CAN MONITOR THE NUMBERS ACCURATELY.
1. Poster with QR code to print for in-store use. We will have printed copies distributed this week. Customers can scan the QR code and this will link them directly to the petition to sign.
3. Download the petition print version for hand signatures, this is not the preferred option but it is available.
WHAT YOU CAN TO DO HELP
Engage with your customers and staff. Ensure they are across the issue and our message and key points are understood. Ensure a printed copy of the poster is front and centre in your store until our posters are distributed.
Encourage customers, friends and family to sign the petition.
Read through RFW Expert Working group list of proposals to DPIRD, key elements of these were all but dismissed by the Dept.
** TIM FARNELL 0402 332 361
** BRIAN MARSHALL 0417 974 491
** ASHLEY RAMM 0427 108 616